The start to another good week and other reflections...

I started off this week (which according to my training plan will be a fairly light one) with a 7 mile Easy Run. I can't wait for the weather to warm up and get me off the treadmill, but I think we are likely still a couple months away from that. Oh well, I don't mind too much, it helps me train my mind to deal with the boredom. On that note, some of you may know that I am no longer listening to headphones on runs. No iPod, no listening to the TV's at the gym, just plain running with the sounds around me. I am doing this for two reasons. First because the Napa Valley Marathon that I am training for does not allow headphones so I need to get used to keep my focus without music. Second because I wanted to broaden my training. I've thought for a while about doing this, but I just like music too much. My thinking is this: I want to find the ability to focus my mind for a long run from within, not needing the iPod to keep me going with an upbeat song. I also want to use running as an opportunity to take in and observe the world around me. I think that is near impossible with the headphones on. I can't wait to get outside again and enjoy my outdoor running without headphones, with only the sounds of nature (and cars, of course!). Running for me is about challenges, right now I'm not only facing the challenge of marathon training, but also of running exclusively on the treadmill and running without music. It has been interesting, but I really believe the benefits of this are carrying over not only in my running but also in many other areas of my life. I hope you all are finding new ways to challenge yourselves and get the most you can from your running and your life.

Have a great week and happy running!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2012 Louisiana Marathon Race Report...

The Quest For 100 Just Got Real...

Psycho Psummer 20 Mile Race Report