I know I could do better...

I know that balance is important both in my nutrition and in my workout plan, but both have been seriously lacking. Before my stress fracture in the spring I was very good about balancing my running and other workouts for a good, healthy, balanced strategy. Then I couldn't run for almost 2 months. Once I was given the all clear to run I didn't want to waste time or energy doing anything else! I know it's not good for me, but I just want to run, run, run and run some more. I keep thinking lately that my running has been very good, my endurance is as good as it's ever been or maybe even better. Despite how great it's been, I can't help but think about how much better it would be if I would get back to finding a balanced approach. I just haven't had the desire or discipline to get back to strength training, yoga, stretching, karate, etc. Why am I doing this to myself?

It's time for a change. I need to get back to work for real. It's not easy, it's an adjustment to add back these tough workouts into what I'm doing. Last night I worked out a 3 day per week plan to get me through the next 4 weeks. This will help me get through the Blue Springs 50k in 2 weeks and the Pilgrim Pacer Marathon 2 weeks after that without wearing me out adding too much back in. After that I WILL get back to the full P90X plan while training for the Louisiana Marathon. I spoke with my wife about my plan and asked her to help hold me accountable to getting in the workouts. Hopefully with her help and with some help from you the readers I will be able to make this a habit again.

I've started working on getting my nutrition back under control and have been doing fairly well, but still have work to do in this area as well. I know I can do it, I've done it before. Now it's just finding that discipline and desire to do it that I used to have. I know better nutrition, more strength, better flexibility, and better balance will all help improve my running, so this is important to me. Please, if you see me go a while without mentioning workouts other than running PLEASE call me out on it! I need your help!!

On to what's going on with my running specifically. I ran 13 miles on Saturday using my run/walk plan that I will use at the 50k and it went very well. I woke up yesterday feeling physically and mentally tired so I skipped the 13 I had planned and took an extra rest day and felt much better. I think it was a good idea to skip that run with the 50k so close. Tonight I'm running 4 miles with a few folks from my running club. I'm now reducing my level of intensity and miles in my runs as I draw near my first ever 50k.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2012 Louisiana Marathon Race Report...

The Quest For 100 Just Got Real...

Psycho Psummer 20 Mile Race Report