Speedwork & a weekend to look forward to...

WOW!! It's been a long time since I worked on speed like that! In fact, the last time I had a run with a average pace lower was my last 5k on October 9, '10 (7:59 pace). This morning training called for me to really start ramping up my speed. My target of 1:45 for the Wickedly Fast Half Marathon is an average pace of 8:00 so I really need to build up a lot of speed between now and then. This morning was a 6 mile Speedwork Run:
  • 1 mile @ 9:40
  • 1 mile @ 8:00
  • 1/2 mile @ 9:40
  • 1 mile @ 8:00
  • 1/2 mile @ 9:40
  • 1 mile @ 8:00
  • 1 mile @ 9:40
In total it was 6 miles in 53:07 with an average pace of 8:50. It actually felt really good and I felt strong throughout. I expected to really struggle through it being my first run of that speed in so long and my first Speedwork Run in my Vibrams, but that just wasn't the case. In fact, I think the Vibrams really helped a lot. They really force you to maintain better form and posture even in a tough run. Normally in the past I have had a tendency to slouch when I get tired, so them helping maintain my form really did a great job of keeping my mind and core engaged better than normal. So far I'm thinking that buying the Vibrams may have been one of my best purchases ever! That 1:45 target is definitely an aggressive goal, but I have a good training plan and there is a 1:45 pace group so I'm confident I can get there in time.

Tomorrow is a rest day, then Saturday I have a double header of sorts. My wife and mother-in-law will be driving to Manhattan, KS (home of Kansas State University where I spent 3 years) so that I can run my first races there. The morning will start with a 2 hour drive there, then a 2 mile Fun Run, which I will be doing as a warm up. That is followed by the Aggieville St. Pat's 10k that runs from Aggieville up through campus and back. It will be my first time running in my old college town and my first 10k as an official race. Obviously having run a half and full marathon I have run that distance many times in training, just never in a race format. I'm excited about both firsts, especially the fact that it is in Manhattan. If you've ever been there you know it is a great town and it's always nice to visit the place I lived for 3 years. It'll be a great reminder of how far I've come as I run 6.2 miles through campus!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2012 Louisiana Marathon Race Report...

The Quest For 100 Just Got Real...

Psycho Psummer 20 Mile Race Report