Back to training...

Today is a new day. I've got one of my biggest goals for the year behind me having completed my first full marathon, now it's time to move to my next big goal. The next goal on the list is a sub-2 hour half marathon. My first (and so far only) half was 2:05:29, so technically I only need to cut 5 1/2 minutes off that time. Of course, you've probably noticed that I like to be ambitious with my goals, so I'm joining a 1:45 pace group which would cut about 20 minutes off my time and get em well under my 2 hour goal. I think this is reasonable and I started my training today with a 1:45 goal (8:00 pace) in mind. Including this week, I have 5 weeks to prepare, which I believe will be about perfect. I will be running the Wickedly Fast Half Marathon associated with the Oz Marathon in Olathe, KS on 4/16. This was also the race that last year I ran my first 5k at, so it holds a special place in my heart. The course also runs by my mother-in-law's house, which is cool. It starts and ends at Garmin's world headquarters. If you live in the KC area (I'm talking to you, Jollene), this is a good event that I hope you will consider taking part in.

My training this morning was a simple 4 miler @ a 9:40 pace. It was my third run in my new Vibram Five Finger Bikilas. I truly LOVE these!! My form and my muscles are definitely adjusting and I can can feel the difference. They certainly make you more cognisant of your form and your foot strike, I can feel that I am already starting to lighten the pressure on my feet. More than that, you can feel that they are built for speed! They are so light that you feel like a world-class sprinter when you put them on, even if you're slow like me!! If you've considered trying out VFFs, I recommend them for sure, but you'll want to work them in slowly if you are not used to minimalist shoes. The more minimal the shoes you normally wear, the easier the transition will be for you.

Happy running, everyone!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2012 Louisiana Marathon Race Report...

The Quest For 100 Just Got Real...

Psycho Psummer 20 Mile Race Report