Life Is All About Change (Yeah, I'm back)

Well, hello there! It's been about two years since I last posted in this blog, but changes are coming and I wanted to dust the blog off and start using this as a place to share this journey with people again. Change isn't always what you want or what you expect, but if you have the right attitude, it can be good for you. That's what I'm planning for. I'll get more into that later. I want to start by filling you in on what I've been up to over the last couple of years that I've been away from the blog, then I'll get into what is changing, why, and where I want that change to take me. I hope you enjoy following my journey.

Over the last two years, I've largely been focused on CrossFit. I LOVE IT! I've been a member at Anthem CrossFit in Pensacola, FL since 11/30/15, and it's been amazing. I've learned a lot, had a lot of fun, and made so many amazing friends there. I've discovered a love of the CrossFit methodology, and I've found Olympic lifting, which I really enjoy. I've definitely gotten stronger, and I've learned a lot about how to vary a workout regime. The down side? I barely run anymore. I ran a grand total of 61.7 miles in 2017. I definitely want to change that trend and get back to running.

I've now done several CrossFit competitions, and am currently taking part in my 3rd CrossFit Games Open. It's been a blast and an incredible experience. But change is a constant in this universe. Unfortunately, for the second time our membership prices are increasing and I just can't afford it. So I'm having to make the difficult choice to leave Anthem and move to using the garage gym I have built as my primary workout space. I understand the business side of it, and the prices remain in line with other boxes in the area, but it's just more than I can fit in the budget.

So what now? I'm losing my favorite workout space, the box's programming, and my fellow athletes that I workout with. Obviously, we'll remain friends, but I won't have that workout crew with me day in and day out to push me. Those are the downsides of this change. But I'm determined to remain positive,so I'm focusing on moving forward. Last year my wife and I bought a great house and I have built a pretty impressive garage gym, if I do say so myself. So I still have a great place to workout, and I have a good amount of great equipment to utilize. Additionally, while I'm disappointed in losing the box's programming, it does mean that I now get to write my own. First of all, that's fun and I really enjoy writing workout plans and fitting individual workouts into an overall plan to reach a goal. Secondly, my programming can now be focused on both general fitness and reaching more specific goals I set for myself. I love the box's programming, but they can't tailor it to the individual goals of the many members. Writing my own programming does give me the chance to continue to focus on general fitness through CrossFit WODs, but also tailor things to meet whatever goals I may be striving for at any given time. I'm excited about that opportunity. It'll be a change, but it's something I love and change is always something that can help push you forward, if you handle it right.

So what goals do I want to set? I definitely needed something big and challenging to keep me focused and help me get adjusted to working out on my own again. I did a lot of soul searching, serious thinking, and researching. Finally I settled on one. Kristy & I are visiting Kansas City again in September, and I wanted to get out on my favorite trails; the Clinton Lake North Shore Trails in Lawrence, KS. The Hawk 100/50/26.2 is on September 8, so why not use this as a chance to get back to running, run with lots of my trail runner friends in KC, and see the entire trail system again?

So that's the goal now. A marathon. If you followed this blog back when I actively used it, you are probably thinking "what's the big deal, you've run lots of marathons and ultras?" Well, I haven't run one since March 21, 2015. That's 3 years ago now, and 3 1/2 years between that and the Hawk. So this feels like I'm getting ready for the first one. Additionally, as mentioned earlier, I have barely run in the last 3 years. Also, it's on a very tough trail system and my last trail run was 11/24/16.

Six months normally feels far too long to spend training for a marathon, but considering how little I have run the last couple years it will take time to build back up to 26.2. I'm very excited about the challenge and looking forward to accomplishing it with friends. I also plan to update the blog periodically again during my training so I can document it. It's definitely making the best of a bummer of a situation. I'm disappointed to be leaving Anthem CrossFit. I love that place and those people, and I would still recommend it to anyone. I plan to go there whenever they have special workouts open to the public, which the do from time to time, and even maybe do a drop-in from time to time. It changed my life in ways I can barely begin to describe, and I believe CrossFit is an amazing way to get fit for life. It's just not in the cards for me right now, so I have to make the best of the situation. I'll do Oly lifting, CrossFit, weightlifting, running, and will join the YMCA (which I can get a deal on since my wife teaches there) to use the pool and other resources I don't have at the garage gym. Committing to a marathon again is a scary, but exciting goal. And isn't that the sign that a goal is worth going after?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2012 Louisiana Marathon Race Report...

The Quest For 100 Just Got Real...

Psycho Psummer 20 Mile Race Report