What A Great Week...

Rest is good, of that there is no doubt.  I was on a set training schedule from my birthday (8/9) until the Louisiana Marathon (1/15); that's 5 full months.  This time period also included two 5ks, one 8.5 mile trail race, one 27 mile race (duration event), two marathons and one 50k.  Yep, after Louisiana I was ready for a much needed break.  My body was tired and my mind was tired.  Being on regimented training for that long is tough, mentally & physically draining.  In the 9 days since the Louisiana Marathon I have only run 4 times for a total of 18.96 miles; for me that is practically no running!  My next marathon (the newly renamed Garmin Marathon) is not until 4/21 so I have plenty of time to relax a little.  My plan is to take the 3 weeks following the marathon to just run without a plan.  If I feel like running I will, if I don't I won't.  After that 3 weeks I'll get back to getting ready for the next round of events.

The first week after the Louisiana Marathon (1/16-1/22) I ran 4 times for a total of 18.96 miles.  That's very low mileage for me.  I ran once in Shreveport, LA two days after the marathon with my wife; we were staying there with my grandmother.  It felt good to run in the heat; it was about 74* and humid.  That suits me much better than the weather here even with it being such a mild winter.  That Friday I did an easy 5k on the treadmill, Saturday I did a nice 4.88 miles with the Olathe Running Club and Sunday I did a very nice 6.77 miles on a trail run with two good friends.  I ran when I felt like running, didn't run when I didn't feel like it.  No schedules.  It was kind of nice; I got a chance to recenter a little.  I love running very much, but we all have to slow things down a little from time to time.   That was a nice week to do just that.

The next week (1/23-1/29); last week; was a very interesting and good week!  I still didn't run much.  I did 3 runs totalling 19.65 miles.  I went to the ORC Wednesday Night Run and ran a fast 4.03 with Janee'.  Saturday I decided to try running with another trail running group I hadn't run with before; the Lawrence Trail Hawks.  We met up at Clinton Lake Park in 22* temps with a windchill of 13*.  With such cold temps it was a small group of us running (pictured), it was a fun morning.  I did 9.42 miles with Justin while many of the others went out for another loop to total 19 miles.  Sunday I went to a run I've been meaning to get to for a while; the Sunday RUNday group.  This is a group that several of the ORC members run with.  It was very nice; Dina (the leader of the group) sets up a different 12 mile route (6 out and 6 back) each week and marks the course.  She also puts up water stations every 2 miles.  I did 3.1 out with a couple ORC members then 3.1 back with another ORC member.  It was a very nice morning.

Running and resting were not the only good things about the week though; my race budget also got a lot easy to manage!  On Monday the Hospital Hill Run' FB page asked people to describe themselves in 6 words.  This is a half marathon I plan to run this year.  I typed in "Doesn't always win, always tries hard."  Tuesday they put up 4 of our responses and asked people to vote on them and the winner would win a free entry!!  Thanks to friends from many of my running groups there was a three-way tie that got me and 2 others free entries!!  That was great!!  It got even better after that.  I figured I'd use the money I saved there to find my first trail marathon to run.  That's how I found the Trail Hawks that I mentioned in the last paragraph.  They have an event called the Hawk 100m/50m/marathon.  It takes place at Clinton Lake Park (a trail I had run once before and will run more between now and then) on 9/8; so I decided on doing this one.  After winning the entry to Hospital Hill I was offered entry into 3 other events for some volunteering that I am going to do.  Four race entries!!  Here's my race plan as it currently stands (ever changing):
  • 1/15 - The Louisiana Marathon - Baton Rouge, LA
  • 3/3 - Mrs. Robinson's Romp Trail 10k - KC, KS
  • 3/4 - Pi-Day River Rotation (πR²) Trail Half Marathon - Lawrence, KS
  • 3/17 - Aggieville St. Pat's 2 mile Fun Run - Manhattan, KS
  • 3/17 - Aggieville St. Pat's 10k - Manhattan, KS
  • 4/21 - Garmin Marathon - Olathe, KS
  • 5/6 - Lincoln Marathon - Lincoln, NE
  • 6/2 - Hospital Hill Half Marathon - KC, MO
  • 6/16 - Summer Intro 2.8 mile Trail Run - KC, KS
  • 6/29 - Rock The Night Away Trail Half Marathon - Meriden, KS
  • 7/4 - Freedom Run 10k - Lenexa, KS
  • 7/14 - Psycho Psummer Trail 50k - KC, KS
  • 8/3 - Psych Night Trail 10k - KC, KS
  • 8/11 - Deanna Rose Farmstead Stampede 5k - Overland Park, KS
  • 9/1 - North Shore 8.5 mile Trail Run - Lawrence, KS
  • 9/8 - Hawk Trail Marathon - Lawrence, KS
  • 9/11 - Patriots' Run (9hr 11min duration event) - Olathe, KS
  • 9/23 - Omaha Marathon - Omaha, NE
  • 10/13 - Pumpkin Run 5k - Olathe, KS
  • 10/14 - On The Road For Education Marathon - Mason City, IA
  • 10/20 - Kansas City Marathon - KC, MO
  • 10/21 - Des Moines Marathon - Des Moines, IA
  • 10/28 - Blue Springs 50k - Independence, MO
  • 11/10 - Pilgrim Pacer Marathon - Lenexa, KS
  • 11/11 - Veteran's Day Fantastic 4 mile Trail Run - KC, KS
  • 12/8 - Alternate Chili 10 mile Trail Fun Run - KC, KS

Comments

  1. You are such an inspiration!! I ran my 1st half marathon at the Pilgrim Pacer and remember you cheering me on! I live in Junction City, and you and I are planning on running some of the same races. The KC marathon in October will be my first marathon. Then hopefully if everything goes as planned running the Pilgrim Pacer marathon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! That's awesome to hear. I have a hard time thinking of myself as inspiring anyone; I still see the overweight guy watching TV on the couch all day! Congrats on your first half at the Pacer! It was a great race and a very challenging course, especially with the wind we got that day. Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet at a race one of these days. Keep moving forward!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely an inspiration. I too once was an overweight couch potato. One days my goal is to be a marathon maniac (thanks to you) I am running the Aggieville 10k in March so maybe we could meet there. Good luck on your next races!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I won't be at Aggieville afterall. Not long after this post a friend invited me up to Lincoln, NE to run a trail marathon that same day then go see him play in his band that night. I couldn't pass that up, but I hate missing Aggieville. My wife and I both went to K-State.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2012 Louisiana Marathon Race Report...

The Quest For 100 Just Got Real...

Psycho Psummer 20 Mile Race Report